Friday, September 30, 2011

The DC New 52 Wrap-up

All 52 titles have been released, and the DC relaunch appears to be a huge succes, for the first month, anyway. Every single one of the new 52 sold out at the distributor level before they even went on sale each week, and some books have had to have third, or even fourth, printings. Hopefully, things won't drop off too badly in the months to come. For now, the DC relaunch looks to be one of the very best things to happen to the comics industry in quite some time.

I'll leave analysis of the sales figures and such to people who are more qualified. For my part, I've enjoyed reading so many new seires, and seeing all the discussion and enthusiasm (well, for the most part) from so many people, including a bunch who are altogether new to comics. After reading and reviewing all 52 new series, here's how they break down for me:





Love 'em! 
All-Star Western
Batman
Batwoman
Action Comics
Wonder Woman
Swamp Thing
Animal Man
Justice League Dark
Demon Knights
Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE

Pretty good! 
Batman and Robin
Batgirl
Supergirl
Resurrection Man
Green Lantern: New Guardians
Stormwatch
Red Lanterns
Justice League
Aquaman
Green Lantern
DC Universe Presents 
Green Lantern Corps
Detective Comics
Catwoman
Suicide Squad
Nightwing
Blue Beetle
Batwing
Fury of Firestorm


Not bad, I'll stick around for at least one more issue... (i.e. they're on the fence)
The Flash
Legion Lost
OMAC
Justice League International
Mister Terrific
Superboy
Batman: The Dark Knight
I, Vampire
Static Shock
Men of War
Deathstroke
Captain Atom
The Savage Hawkman
Grifter
Superman
Blackhawks
Voodoo
Birds of Prey

I don't wanna read this, and you can't make me!! 
Green Arrow
Hawk and Dove
Red Hood and the Outlaws
Legion of Super-Heroes
Teen Titans

Out of 52 comics, there are only five that I don't care to read again next month; that's not bad at all! Even some of the "on the fence" titles will get at least 2-3 more issues to impress me, depending on exactly how "on the fence" they are. The biggest surprises for me were Superboy, Deathstroke, Captain Atom, Grifter, and Voodoo; I had either low expectations or no expectations at all for each of those books, and they all wound up being fairly interesting in the end.

That's it for today; I just wanted to gather my thoughts about the whole thing and get them posted for the record. I'll continue doing the weekly comic reviews, now that I've gotten back in the habit, but I'll most likely make them a bit briefer from here on out, except for special cases.  Be sure to swing back by tomorrow, when 31 Days of Halloween kicks off!

2 comments:

  1. Pleased to see you'll keep up the reviews. Our taste in comics seems very similar, and the few differences are interesting.

    As for my list, I have not managed to narrow down my pull list much from my original selections and indeed added a few beyond the list I decided on at the beginning of September. Like I said, our picks are very similar. Here's how they stand right now:

    Batman
    Batman and Robin
    Batgirl
    Batwoman
    Nightwing
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Green Lantern: New Guardians*
    Justice League
    Action Comics*
    Aquaman
    The Flash
    Wonder Woman
    All-Star Western
    Animal Man
    Demon Knights
    Justice League Dark*
    Swamp Thing

    The asterisks denote titles I'm giving an arc to properly hook me, at which point I'll re-evaluate. My favorites were without a doubt Batman, Swamp Thing, Batwoman, and Demon Knights.

    Detective Comics ended up being the only one I really cut (ugh), but I'm looking forward to seeing how these new series fare beyond the first month of hype!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! One reason I've decided to keep doing the weekly reviews is that it helps me stay motivated to read the new comics every week; I had fallen into the habit letting about six issue accumulate, then reading them all at once. Knowing I need to get them reviewed for the blog givews the that extra kick in the ass I need to go ahead and read 'em right away!
    That's a damn good list, you've definitely got the best of the bunch on your pull list. I can't wait for the series that are coming in October, especially the long-awaited Shade series! I'll be checking out all three, though.

    ReplyDelete