Monday, July 20, 2026

Rant Review: Neuschwanstein Castle, 1,000 (-2) Piece Jigsaw Puzzle (Springbok, photographer uncredited, 1979)


This is the oldest of the trio of vintage Springboks I've found in recent weeks, hailing from my birth year. The blue tint over much of the upper half that made it all look so similar, all that foliage, a large area on the left side that is mostly black, and a fuzzy image made this the most difficult puzzle I've done since tackling a horrendous photomosaic puzzle many years ago. Two chunks of the sky were intact when I opened the box, and I admit that I plopped them directly onto my board with only the faintest trace of shame. This being a Springbok, I put all the suspected edge pieces aside and started working on the castle first. This went pretty quickly, and I moved on to building out from there. When that stalled, I began adding to the pair of sky chunks until they were connected, then built out to the edge and began to work my way around until the edge was complete. I left the lower left chunk, with all that hateful foliage and darkness, for last. Two pieces were missing, but I reckon that's not too bad for a 47 year-old puzzle I got for a dollar. The piece fit wasn't quite as tight as other Springboks I've done, but I'm not sure whether that's simply due to wear, or if they cut them slightly differently at the time. This one didn't have a catalogue insert like my last vintage Springbok, but it did have the inspection tag!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment