Thursday, September 10, 2026
Rant Review: Masters of the Universe: King of the Mountain 63 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle (Golden, art by R.L. Allen, 1983)
I'm nearing the end of my vintage MOTU puzzles, but I felt like getting one in before kicking off my Halloween puzzling. Like several of the other MOTU puzzles I've done, this one features art by R.L. Allen, who contributed quite a bit of art to licensed MOTU products in the early years. Allen's art lacks the dark, creepy atmosphere seen in the art of Alfredo Alcala, Rudy Obrero, and William George, but it's a rich, colorful sort of old world style which suits the characters well.
Here, Skeletor has been forced into a precarious spot despite wielding the Power Sword. I reckon it's an off day for him. Meanwhile, Man-at-Arms pilots the Wind Raider in pursuit of Tri-Klops, who has apparently stolen a sky sled. The design of the sky sled takes a couple of elements from its appearance in the Battle Ram package art, most notably the large thruster on the back. (Scan via the Battle Ram Blog.) Otherwise, it and the Wind Raider are very accurate to the toy designs, humorously so in the Raider's case, as Man-at-Arms barely fits inside the thing. These are the same thin, rather loose-fitting pieces seen in other puzzles in this series. It's in great shape for its age, and though the Toys-R-Us price sticker is attached, the bit with the price has been torn off at some point. Bummer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment