Thursday, November 23, 2017

Rant Review Thanksgiving edition: DC Collectibles Bombshells Batwoman figure

Occasionally, a product, or line of products, comes along that seems to be aimed directly at me. I'm sure all of you have experienced this at some point. Something just aligns perfectly with your interests, and speaks to you on a level that most things simply don't. The DC Bombshells line of statues did that for me. I love DC's female characters in general, and I adore the pinup art of the 1940s-50s. Combining the two was a move designed to make me squeal with delight, if not for one problem: I have neither the money nor the space for these statues, so I had to pass on every single one of them. It was rough, let me tell ya. Thankfully, these action figures based on those designs are more in my price range. Today, we're looking at the Bombshells figure of one of my favorite DCU characters, Batwoman!

Sculpting is rarely a problem for figures from DCC, and it's quite good here, as well. The sculpt isn't very detailed, but it fits with the aesthetic of the Bombshells art by Ant Lucia, so I can hardly fault it for that. Most of the details are found in the cap's seams and the piping on the uniform. Batwoman's facial expression is a bit bland, but given how Wonder Woman's face turned out when they tried to give her a more active expression, I can live with it. The hips DCC is using on the bodies in this line are, frankly, kind of ugly, but Batwoman's skirt covers them completely, which is a big plus. Her hair is sculpted in a dynamic windblow pose that looks quite nice, though it does limit the posing a bit, as it will look very odd in certain poses.

Articulation is very good, with balljoints at the shoulders, hips, and neck, double-hinged elbows and knees, cuts at the waist and thighs, and pin/swivel combos at the wrists and ankles. The skirt is very soft, and doesn't limit the hip articulation much at all. The hair is also soft, but due to its thickness and weight, it limits the range of motion in the head a bit more than I'd like. Still, it's a huge improvement over the very stiff hair we get on so many figures. The waist is very tight on my figure, and sometimes it feels like I might break the joint if I turn it. Not a good sign. Paint apps are decent. there is a bit of slop here and there, with the belt the worst offender. The face is very neat and clean, though, thankfully. Accessories include a baseball, baseball bat, and four extra hands, one of which is a baseball glove. The hands pop on and off easily, yet don't feel like they'll fall off while posing them. Nice work here by DCC. There is some paint flaking on the pegs when adding or removing them, however.

Fans of this line or character will likely buy this figure anyway, if they haven't already. But for those of you who may be on the fence, I can recommend the figure as long as you can grab it for around $20. Like it or not, that is pretty much the standard price for a 6-7 inch figure these days, and the articulation and accessories make this figure a solid value for that price. For someone like me who really likes the character and the Bombshells line in general, it's a great buy, and I can't wait to add more of the figures to my display shelves! That's it for today, but be sure to come back next Tuesday, as the MOTUC reviews resume!

No comments:

Post a Comment