Tuesday, January 21, 2014

WTF is the deal with the Blacula box?

Okay, so here's the deal: I'm helping a friend of mine sell some stuff online, and while going through some of it Sunday, I was suddenly confronted with THIS. As someone with a lifelong fascination with old horror movies, B movies, and '70s blaxploitation movies, this thing appealed to me far more than is probably healthy. "If you want that box, you need to take it right now, because if I leave this house with it, it ain't gonna find its way back over here," I told him. He didn't want it, so this glorious prize is now mine! the only problem: I have no friggin' idea where it came from. He had similarly gotten it from another friend years ago, and likewise has no clue to its origins. The box gives no indication, and the only text on it (aside from the Spanish on the front) is some copyright info on the bottom. A few Google searches turned up nothing relevant. I like to think that a really nice bottle of liquor was originally housed within it, possibly in a drawstring bag. Who knows?

EDIT: Before this post went live, I did some more digging, and finally found a little information about this box. Evidently, it was intended as a storage box for trading/playing cards. I can't find any other information about it, but at least that lays to rest the mystery of its intended purpose. Even with the central mystery solved, this thing is still interesting enough to share. I certainly feel my home is a bit better for having a Blacula box in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment